City of Chatham-Kent
Return to City of Chatham-Kent
Application Guidelines for City of Chatham-Kent
Bring your application form to the Building Department with
- 2 copies of the building plans (plans must show elevations,
floor plans, cross-sections, trusses drawings,)
- 2 sets of the survey or a site plan
- Payment of cash, interact, credit card or cheque to the
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
- Ensure application is complete. Any incomplete application
or building plans will cause further delays of getting your permit.
- The property owner is responsible for applying for the building
- The property owner may authorize your contractor or designer
to obtain the permit.
- Go to Building, Enforcement & Licensing Services
Department for an application located at 315 King Street, West in Chatham.
- You are required to provide information about the
construction project. Such as who is the contractor, the type of work that will
be performed, expected completion date and how the work will be done.
- Any design drawings will be reviewed for compliance with the
Ontario Building Code. It is imperative that plans show the designer’s BCIN
registration number. They allow one exception. Homeowners who do their own
drawings are exempt. You will not be required to have a BCIN number for your
drawings for building that are less than 30 sq. meters (538 sq. ft.).
- Cost of the building permit fees are based on the cost of
- Minimum permit fee is $70. New construction is calculated by
square foot of finished floor space.
- There may be a security deposit required in case of damage
to the municipal property.
- No work can begin until the building permit has been issued.
- Most permits are issued within 2 weeks for new construction.
- Other permits could take longer based on the project
difficulty and completion of information submitted.
- Inspection will be required for each phase of construction by
a City building official. They will be looking for code compliance as deemed by
the Ontario Building Code. These inspections are mandatory.
City of Chatham-Kent Official Site - Re: Building Permits (opens new window)
City of Chatham-Kent Official Site - Re: Septic Permits (opens new window)
Return to City of Chatham Kent Directory
Return to Main Index